Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My Mustachioed Muse


What to paint? I sat and stared at an empty canvas like some kind of visual cliché. I was creatively paralyzed with a stupid and contrived conundrum that I couldn’t work around: any thing I paint should be better as a representation rather than the original. Otherwise, what would be the point of painting something if checking out the actual subject is a better experience. For example, what’s the point of painting a lamp if the real lamp in my living room looks much better? The only solution I could come up with is that my painted lamp shall have a moustache. That would make it much cooler than a regular lamp.
My mustachioed lamp may settle my muse-less musings at the moment, but now all sorts of questions crop up. Questions about representation, images, symbolism, abstraction, advertisements. I clearly have some thinking and reading to do. I think Debord is driving me crazy. Or maybe I’m becoming more sane and fitting in less in a crazy world. Same difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment