Thursday, July 30, 2009

Being Realistic is Blowing my Mind!

I'm departing from my regular format (make art, write about it) because I haven't been painting as much as usual. I've been devoting more and more of my time to writing (thanks Bryan), and let me tell you: being realistic is blowing my mind!

Lately, I've been sitting at the window with my hound, the both of us striking a Lenin pose (looking far off into the Utopian proletariat future!) trying to come up with an interesting narrative to write about. That's me thinking about a narrative, not my hound (Henry). He's probably thinking about lizards or Socrates's essences...I don't know.

Henry and I do this for days. Meanwhile, I have been keeping a list of interesting (and real) people I may use for a narrative. Here it is:

Christine Chubbuck
Kaspar Hauser
Ota Benga
Gherasim Luca

The one thing I believe they have in common is that they all have lives that are completely unrealistic. The irony that was dealt to them, has been dealt in such copious amounts that it is hard to believe that it is real and/or a supernatural hand has not interfered. Check 'em out on Wikipedia.

Yesterday, I began writing about Ota Benga (I'll let you all see it when I'm done). I was at Barnes & Noble trying to figure out what his English sounded like (what does a Mbuti accent sound like?) when it struck me.

There is something else all four names on the list have in common: they all committed suicide. I don't know how I missed it. As I said in my last blog post, I'm not a nihilist...am I?

2 comments:

  1. Ive been checking my mail box everyday with anticipation, thinking for some reason you already had sent the first chapter. Im glad you are writing more, my character is a very pretentious scam artist with an assistant. The rich have become lesser middle class and still have money for luxuries, one of those being attending the show of a man who makes leaves dance on the corner of 3ave and 7th street.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know what happened at the lodge,I wasnt their, perhaps the voice of this young man who has found himself in a pickle will find its way into our story.

    ReplyDelete